Submit a film : Preselection Conditions and Entry Form 2014
Films In Competition, Out of Competition, Un Certain Regard
The Selection Committee of the Festival de Cannes is exclusively in charge of the following sections of the Official Selection: Competition (short and feature films), Out of Competition and Un Certain Regard. The selection Committee decides in which section a film can participate. For feature films applying to Cannes Classics, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The non-official sections Directors' Fortnight and Critics' Week are independent of the Cannes Film Festival. They are in charge of their own respective selections.
Only films (feature and short) that meet the following conditions may be chosen for invitation to the Official Selection:
• Films that have been produced during the twelve months preceding the Festival
• Films whose distribution is limited to its country of origin
• Films that have not been presented in any international motion picture event. If the film (feature or short) has been selected in an international section (competitive or not) of a festival, it becomes ineligible for the Festival de Cannes. A selection is international if it presents films from different countries.
• Films that have not been shown on the Internet
• Short films that do not exceed 15 minutes in length, including credits
In order to be selected in the short film competition, your film must be less than 15 minutes long (including credits).
In order to be selected as a feature film, your film must be more than 60 minutes long.
The Festival de Cannes does not accept films that have a duration between 15 and 60 minutes.
All short films (from 1 to 35 minutes) can be registered for the Short Film Corner: a meeting place dedicated to short films inside the Festival de Cannes.
You can also contact the Directors' Fortnight or the Critics' Week which are parallel sections of the Festival de Cannes.
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION AND FOR RECEPTION
Whatever equipment is used for shooting the film (mini DV, super 8, 35mm...), only the following will be accepted for the preselection:
• for feature films:
- 35mm film print
- HDCAM / HDCAM-SR
- DCP (Digital Cinema Package): Server JPEG 2000 (model DOREMI DCP 2K4)
Server reads only JPEG 2000 files. Available connections: CRU bay, e-Sata, USB.
Once your submission is complete, contact the Film Department for the server certificate and how to send your KDM.
- Beta SP (Pal, NTSC) or Digital Beta (Pal, NTSC)
- Blu-ray Disc + 1 standard DVD (if you send a Blu-ray you must also send us a standard DVD of the film).
- DVD (Standard)
• for short films:
- DVD (Standard, no Blu-ray)
Any short film sent in other formats (mini DV, Beta, ...) will not be viewed.
Please send your film once only and in one format only.
N.B. It is possible to present a working copy of the film. When filling out the entry form, please state if it is the final version or a working version. Submission of a working copy does not allow for later submission of a final copy.
The Selection Committee will accept to screen a film:
•WITHOUT subtitles IF the original language is French or English.
•WITH French or English subtitles for all other original languages.
HDCAM / DCP / BETA / DVD / Blu-ray: they must be sent by mail, directly to the Film Department at the Festival office (please find the address at the end of the entry form). If they are sent through an express parcel service it should read "For cultural purpose only" and "Without commercial value" on the package. For any materials sent by an express parcel service, payment for delivery must have been made in full, including any duty and taxes. Otherwise, the Festival reserves the right not to accept the package.
It is also possible to make delivery in person or by courier. (Please check our office hours in advance.)
APPLICATION AND SCREENING FEE FOR THE PRESELECTION
• There is no fee for short films.
• Feature film on DVD, or Blu-ray Disc: 50 Euros all taxes included.
• Feature film on Beta (SP or Digital): 150 Euros all taxes included.
• Feature film on 35mm film print: 200 Euros all taxes included.
• Feature film on DCP (Digital Cinema Package): 300 Euros all taxes included.
• Feature film on HDCAM / HDCAM-SR : 350 Euros all taxes included.
Application and screening fee must be paid at the time of registration online (using the form below).
Application and screening costs are borne by the producer or the sender.
MEANS OF PAYMENT
Only payment by credit card such as: Visa, Mastercard / Eurocard, and American Express is accepted.
Your credit card will be debited on a secure website when filling in the entry form.
Payment validates the completion of registration.
All payments must be made in Euros.
35mm film print: According to the senders instructions, the print is returned to the sender through the Festival's shipping agent, FILMINGER.
The return transport costs are borne by the producer or by the return consignee for the print. The total invoice (transport, screening, etc) must be paid upon arrival of the print in order for us to release the print once the Selection Committee has screened it.
Other screening materials: Following the screening, the different materials received are not returned to the sender by the Festival. (Note however that materials may be picked up directly from the Festival offices til the end of June 2013, any time but the entire month of May.)
IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED
You will be contacted before the official press conference, which will take place towards mid-April.
You must supply us either a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) with a JPEG 2000 file or a 35mm print.
The Film Department will give you all the necessary information on time, only if your film is selected.
(Feature and short films in Competition /
Out of Competition / Un Certain Regard)
3, rue Amélie - 75007 Paris - France
Tel. : +33 (0) 1 53 59 61 71
Fax. : +33 (0) 1 53 59 61 24
Email : email@example.com
FILM APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2014 FESTIVAL ARE CLOSED.